Thursday, February 1, 2007

7 months

February 1, 2007


Dear Ryan,

You are so incredibly beautiful while you're sleeping. Well, you're beautiful all the time, but I can't get over how gorgeous you are while you sleep. I'm peeking in and out at you while I write this. What an amazing month you have had!


Sleep is the biggest pieces of news when I think about what you've accomplished from 6 months to 7 months. And yes, once again, we're a little past the 7-month mark, but oh well. Life is busy. Anyway, right at the 6-month mark, you got a cold. And to punish Daddy and I for allowing you to get a cold, you decided to stop sleeping in your bassinet. You had actually gotten pretty good at having your last bottle, falling asleep in one of our arms, and laying down for the night. But once this cold hit, noooo more of that! You were making us crazy.

So we finally, finally set up your big-boy crib. And after a couple nights of listening to you scream in indignation, you are doing a WONDERFUL job sleeping through the night – even super late some mornings! I will never forget the first time you slept until like 10:00 a.m.. I woke up and ran in to make sure you were still breathing.

You love a blanket when you sleep, so I have finally shaken off my SIDS fears (well, I still have the fears, but I also have a lot of faith in you) and given you a blankie to sleep with. You love rubbing it up against your face to help you fall asleep. And every morning, even though I put you to sleep parallel to the crib rails, I find you snuggled against the headboard, head against or facing the crib rails. One morning, Daddy found you there with your legs sticking out of the rails. How silly!

Ry, something else very special happened to you on January 7. You were baptized! It was a wonderful day. You looked so handsome in your satiny white shirt and shorts. You didn't cry when Fr. Jim poured the water on your head. The third time, you did try to lift your head away. I loved holding you as you became part of God's family. You and Matthew are very popular at church. After the Mass, we had a party. So many of your family and friends came. It was a wonderful day, though you slept through much of the party.

After your 6-month checkup on the 11th, Dr. Abbasian gave us the green light to start feeding you solids! You loooooove solids. So far, we have had rice cereal, peaches, and sweet potatoes. The Chicago Bears are playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday, so Mama decided you can only eat orange food until then. :) For both of the Bears' playoff games, you and Matthew wore Bears outfits, so I am not going to stop the tradition now! BEAR DOWN!

Oh, as of your 6-month checkup, you weighed 14 lbs., 10 oz. and were 26 ½ inches long. That puts you in the 10th-25th percentile for weight and 50th for length. The next week, we went to the NICU follow-up clinic, and for your adjusted age, you are 50th for weight, 50th for head circumference, and 95th for length! Big tall boy!


They were a little worried about you at the clinic, because you like to keep legs super stiff and be up on your toes. Hopefully this month, you'll be evaluated and we'll find out more!

One more thing about this busy, busy month – Mama went back to work in the evenings. I work at Babies R Us, but since they want me to work on Sunday, I don't know how much longer I'll be there!

I love you endlessly – get ready for another letter at the end of the month!

Love, Mama

February 1, 2007

Dear Matthew,

Hi super-cutie playing in the bouncy seat! Are you ready to hear about your awesome month?

On January 7, you were baptized! It was a wonderful day. You looked so handsome in your satiny white shirt and shorts. You didn't cry when Fr. Jim poured the water on your head. Daddy loved holding you as you became part of God's family. You and Ryan are very popular at church. After the Mass, we had a party. So many of your family and friends came. It was a wonderful day, and you were very happy to hang out with Grandma during the party.

After your 6-month checkup on the 11th, Dr. Abbasian gave us the green light to start feeding you solids! You are a little indecisive when it comes to solids. While you're a good eater, you always make this horrified face with your first bite, even if you've had it 20 times before! You're so funny. So far, we have had rice cereal, peaches, and sweet potatoes. The Chicago Bears are playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday, so Mama decided you can only eat orange food until then. J For both of the Bears' playoff games, you and Ryan wore Bears outfits, so I am not going to stop the tradition now! BEAR DOWN!

Oh, as of your 6-month checkup, you weighed 15 lbs., oz. and were 26 ½ inches long. That puts you in the 25th percentile for weight and 50th for length. The next week, we went to the NICU follow-up clinic, and for your adjusted age, you are 75th for weight, 75th for length, and off the charts for head circumference, which led to a very terrifying couple days.

Dr. Abbasian wanted you to have a head ultrasound. She was worried that your head is sooooo big. Sometimes that's a sign of hydrocephalus, which is a scary disease that makes very sick babies. Mama and Daddy were so worried, but thank God, you are okay. You have "prominence of the cerebral spaces." Whatever that means.

One more thing about this busy, busy month – Mama went back to work in the evenings. I work at Babies R Us, but since they want me to work on Sunday, I don't know how much longer I'll be there!

I love you more than I ever dreamed. Forever and ever and ever and ever.

Love, Mama

No comments: