Friday, March 2, 2007

8 months

March 2, 2007

Dear Matthew,

You're 8 months old! Oh my goodness! I laid you in your crib just now and couldn't believe all the changes that have taken place in you, even since the last letter I wrote.

I can't decide if I should tell you that your seven-month age was a wonderful one or a horrible one. In different ways, I guess both descriptions are true.

Bad news first. I always prefer bad news first. So the bad news about the month you were 7 months old is that you got RSV. RSV is a respiratory infection that causes a bad cold in adults. In babies, especially preemies like you and Ry, it causes a VERY serious problem. Ryan got it first. He had been acting funny at the Super Bowl party at Aunt Danielle and Uncle Rick's (the Bears lost L). The next day, on Mama's birthday, the 2 of us went to the doctor, and Dr. Abbasian told me Ryan had RSV. I cried and cried, because from the time you were born, RSV was the illness I was most afraid of you boys getting. And as soon as she said Ryan had it, I knew you were next, even though you were still acting okay. Sure enough, Daddy took you in the very next day. My poor sweet boy.

Daddy and I had to give you nebulizer treatments day and night. You slept in our room upright in your car seat. You ran a fever and were SO crabby and clingy. All you wanted was your mama. Papa Bear took a day off work to help me take care of you and Ryan. Uncle Jim came over that day, too. The next day, Daddy took off work, and the day after that, Uncle Tom came over and helped out in the morning. Nana came every day after work to help you. Now you're lots better, and we're so so grateful.

How about some good news? I was getting so worried because even though you rolled from your tummy to your back when you were 3 months old, you still hadn't rolled onto your tummy from your back. Well, guess what? You have finally started doing it, and it's so much fun to watch you. The official day you mastered this task was February 21. And you are FINALLY sitting unsupported for more than 2 weeks now – yippee!

Mama went far away for the first time since you've been born. In January, I spent the night at my friend Lisa's house, but that was just in Naperville. On February 17, I flew to Boston to stay with Aunt Shelby for a night. It was so much fun. Grandma and Grandpa came from Iowa to spend the night and days. You were a little shy at first, but they love you so much that you were won over – especially without Mama around.

Guess what happened while I was gone? Daddy decided it was finally time for you to start sleeping in your bed. And you've been a champ! The only annoying part is that we get a lot more loose connections from your monitor now, since you're so mobile with rolling that you roll around in your sleep and disconnect it. The week after that, you stuck your tongue out at us for the first time, which we thought was hilarious.

You're finally getting used to eating solid food without making yucky faces at us, and you pretty much seem to like everything. It's so much fun to feed you guys – although not so much at the same time, when you and Ryan are both yelling at me to hurry up! J You're also starting to hold your own bottle, which makes life much easier for me. You lay down next to me on the couch, holding on to your bottle either up at the top or hooking your fingers underneath, and you're in business. Such a big boy!

One more change that just started on Monday: I have become what I call the Nap Nazi. No more holding you and Ry all day, letting you sleep wherever and whenever you want! We're working on 2 naps a day, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. You guys seem to like this routine, and it makes the days so much more pleasant. I love our night routine. Daddy and I feed you guys your dinner. Then you each have a bath (if it's bath night – we're only doing you every other day because you both have eczema), get new diapers, get in your PJs, listen to a story (or 2 or 3), drink your bottles, and go to sleep in your cribs. Gone are the days of Daddy and I each holding a baby all evening long until we'd fall asleep on the couch and wake up, confused, at 1:00 a.m.!

I think that's all the news. Oh, one more thing. I quit my lame-o job at BRU when you guys got RSV. You needed me – and still do – much more than the pregnant ladies do.

I love you more every day, even when I think it's not possible for my heart to fill up more.

Always, Mama



March 2, 2007

Dear big mobile 8-month-old Ryan,

I hear you singing yourself to sleep right now as I begin this letter. You have changed so much since the last letter – it's truly amazing.

I can't decide if I should tell you that your seven-month age was a wonderful one or a horrible one. In different ways, I guess both descriptions are true.

Bad news first. I always prefer bad news first. So the bad news about the month you were 7 months old is that you got RSV. RSV is a respiratory infection that causes a bad cold in adults. In babies, especially preemies like you and Matthew, it causes a VERY serious problem. You got sick first. We had gone to a Super Bowl party at Aunt Danielle and Uncle Rick's house (the Bears lost!!! L) and we noticed your eyes were kind of runny and you had a little cough. The next day, which was Mama's birthday, you sounded TERRIBLE. You seemed too warm, you were coughing terribly, and you just weren't yourself. When Dr. Abbasian told me you had RSV, I held you and cried and cried. It was terrible. My poor baby ALSO had an eye infection AND an ear infection to go with the RSV! You were so sick! Later that day, you and I went to the ER together because you needed a breathing treatment, and the company hadn't delivered the nebulizer yet. I was so afraid they were going to admit you to the hospital, but luckily, you got to come home and be safe with me. That night, you slept in your room in your car seat with the vaporizer on. I slept on the floor right next to your car seat, just so I could listen to you breathe all night long.

Daddy and I had to give you breathing treatments day and night, which you HATED. After that first night, you slept in our room upright in your car seat, along with Matthew, who got diagnosed with RSV the very next day. You ran a fever and were SO crabby and clingy. All you wanted was your mama. Papa Bear took a day off work to help me take care of you and Ryan. Uncle Jim came over that day, too. The next day, Daddy took off work, and the day after that, Uncle Tom came over and helped out in the morning. Nana came every day after work to help you. Now you're lots better, and we're so so grateful.

How about some good news? GUESS WHO STARTED CREEPING ON FEBRUARY 11??? Yes, it's you, my sweet boy! That was my first hint that you were feeling better. You wanted to play on the floor again, after just wanting to be held for so long. And oh my goodness – that day, I had peeked at you next to me, and the next thing I knew, I looked and you were army crawling on your belly and chest across the room! What an amazing sight! I knew it wouldn't be long – you've been trying to move on your belly since December. Now that you've figured it out, there is NO stopping you. You are into everything, my cutie. You love plastic bags (uh-oh!) because they are fun to chew and make a neat sound when you shake them. You shake everything to see what it sounds like. For some reason, you also love paper and Kleenex. To my everlasting shame, I have found bits of chewed-up Kleenex in your diapers, which tells me I need to be much more vigilant about making sure the living room is clean! :) And you are FINALLY sitting unsupported for about 2 weeks now – yippee!

Mama went far away for the first time since you've been born. In January, I spent the night at my friend Lisa's house, but that was just in Naperville. On February 17, I flew to Boston to stay with Aunt Shelby for a night. It was so much fun. Grandma and Grandpa came from Iowa to spend the night and days. You were a little shy at first, but they love you so much that you were won over – especially without Mama around.

You continue to be this awesome eater. You looove all new foods and make this hilarious "mmmmmm" noise sometimes in between bites. You are so smiley when it's time to eat, and you try everything willingly and eat old favorites with the same enthusiasm. It's so much fun to feed you guys – although not so much at the same time, when you and Matthew are both yelling at me to hurry up! : )

One more change that just started on Monday: I have become what I call the Nap Nazi. No more holding you and Matty all day, letting you sleep wherever and whenever you want! We're working on 2 naps a day, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. You guys seem to like this routine, and it makes the days so much more pleasant. I love our night routine. Daddy and I feed you guys your dinner. Then you each have a bath (if it's bath night – we're only doing you every other day because you both have eczema, though yours has been worse all along), get new diapers, get in your PJs, listen to a story (or 2 or 3), drink your bottles, and go to sleep in your cribs. Gone are the days of Daddy and I each holding a baby all evening long until we'd fall asleep on the couch and wake up, confused, at 1:00 a.m.!

I think that's all the news. Oh, one more thing. I quit my lame-o job at BRU when you guys got RSV. You needed me – and still do – much more than the pregnant ladies do.

I love you more every day, even when I think it's not possible for my heart to fill up more.

Always, Mama

No comments: