Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Naughty? Nice? You be the judge.

Because Aunt Missy's wedding is HOLY MOTHER OF GOD only 4 days away, we have been very busy this week. This morning, we went to KidSnips for the boys' haircuts (they were looking more than a little scruffy.) Ry and Matt LOVE haircuts, especially b/c we go to the ridiculously overpriced places where every kid gets to sit in a racecar and watch a movie of his choice (Ryan = Thomas; Matt = Wonder Pets). They looked very handsome, and after they both behaved beautifully, we drove home in the snow and Ryan had his LAST EVER speech therapy session. *sniff*

After speech, I warmed up leftover chicken and Stove Top stuffing for their lunch, which they both complained about. While I had my back turned doing all kinds of important tasks (or facebooking, either or), I heard a sound that reminded me of rain on the roof. I turned back to the table to find Ryan and Matthew each upending a container of sprinkles (blech) onto their lunches.

Obviously lunch was over at that point.

We read books and the boys went down for nap. During nap, I prepared a first batch of Oreo Balls like a good, dutiful neighbor. I rolled them out onto the cookie sheet ... and then, through the monitor, I heard hysterical, uncontrolled laughter and Matt's voice squealing, "Nakey! Mo nakey, Ryan!" I hurried upstairs to see what was going on (stark naked Ryan, who claims not to have peed in the bed; thus, I did not change the sheets) so of course Bailey jumped up on the table and ate them all . This led to my phoning the emergency vet to check on the safety of a 50-lb. dog inhaling an entire package of Oreos' worth of Oreo balls (probably not terrible, watch him for the next few days and don't let him get overexcited).

In the meantime, Eric came home from work and set out to handle the second round of shoveling on the day. During this time, he called me outside to drive the van while he pushed (it had gotten stuck in the snow). We did that. I headed back inside to hear "hair cut! Cut hair!"

This sounded very bad, so I scooted into the kitchen and sucked all the air out of the room when I saw RYAN HOLDING BIG OPEN SCISSORS OVER MATTHEW'S SWEET LITTLE SKULL. I did not scream, I just made an "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" kind of sound and promptly removed the scissors. "We need to be safe. Babies don't use scissors," I told them. "Yeah, mama scissors," Ryan replied, looking nothing like a would-be homicidal maniac.

I'm thinking of a drink.

2 comments:

Desiree said...

OMG, I would probably have screamed very much that day! And while Christmas weddings are pretty, I can't even begin to fathom the monumental amount of stress that comes with them! GOOD LUCK!!! xoxo! Merry Christmas!

Kara said...

GOOD LUCK AT THE WEDDING!!